First, let's discuss the meaning of reliability and validity:
- An assessment is reliable if it creates stable and consistent results.
- It means that multiple administrations of the same reliable test produce the same outcome.
- Internal Consistency (Chronbach’s alpha)
- Ex. item 1: “I enjoy social interaction”
- Ex. item 2: “Social interaction is fun”
- Answering both TRUE or both FALSE
- No set standard time interval between administrations
- 2 weeks+ to 3 months+
- An assessment is valid if it measures what it claims to measure.
- Types of validity:
- Convergent – high correlations with similar constructs (e.g., other measures of personality; Big-Five, 16PF, NEO)
- Divergent – low correlations with different constructs (e.g., intelligence tests, integrity tests)
- Job performance
Yes, The Birkman Method is both reliable and valid. Since 1951, Birkman has maintained an emphasis on scientific integrity, maintaining the reliability and validity of our assessment through constant analysis by our Research and Development Department.
If you have additional questions regarding Birkman psychometrics, please feel free to email our team at email@example.com or sign up for a relevant Continuing Education course (Birkman Advanced Concepts or The Science Behind The Birkman Method) in the Birkman Learning System.